The Indian Gooseberry, also known as Amla, is a nutrient-rich fruit just like many other fruits. However, there is something unique about this fruit; its numerous scientifically proven health benefits. The health benefits can partly be attributed to the fruit’s high Vitamin C content (it has eight times of more vitamin c than has an orange).
Amla has widely been used in the Indian Ayurvedic medicine practice due to its incredibly impressive list of health benefits. Ayurveda doctors use the fruit to treat and protect against several ailments including cancer and diabetes. Keep reading to learn more about what health benefits Amla offers.
1. Amla reduces cholesterol levels and prevents against cardiovascular conditions. One of the leading causes of heart disease and other cardiovascular conditions is high cholesterol levels. Amla reduces the buildup of bad cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein cholesterol) thus reducing the risk of heart disease. Studies have also shown that the chromium in the Indian Gooseberry can reduce any chances of atherosclerosis which can cause heart attack and stroke. Further, the iron content in Amla also boosts blood circulation and formation of new red blood cells. Experts have also found out that Amla inhibits lipid peroxidation, which is one of the factors that lead to the development of cardiovascular diseases.
2. It has anti-bacterial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties. Due to its anti-bacterial and anti-microbial attributes, consumption of the Indian Gooseberry protects against several pathogens including those that cause Scurvy and Jaundice. Specifically, research has shown that Amla is very effective against cholera, Pseudomonas, and staphylococcus bacteria. It is also worth noting that this fruit is very rich in Vitamin C, much like Shakeology. This fact gives Amla remarkable antioxidant abilities. Consuming it regularly is thus going to boost your immune system. Again, its anti-inflammatory properties combat inflammation and reduce acid levels in the stomach. It also detoxifies the liver.
3. Keeps your blood sugar level in check helping in controlling diabetes. The glucose level in your blood is particularly important if you have diabetes. The chromium in Amla has therapeutic value for diabetics. It stimulates the production of insulin which reduces blood sugar levels and keeps the body well balanced and healthy. This fruit does not only boost the production of insulin, but it also assists in its proper absorption.
4. It improves your metabolic activity. The Indian Gooseberry has the ability to increase absorption of protein in the body. Therefore, it offers a great way of improving your metabolism rate. Protein is essential for muscle development, cellular growth, and organ health. The rate at which protein is broken down and absorbed by the body is also as important. Again, you might already be aware that higher metabolic rates mean that you are going to lose weight faster, get higher energy levels, and also increase your lean muscle mass. This is what consuming Amla will help you achieve.
5. Improves diuretic activity. The fact that Amla is diuretic in nature means that when consumed, it increases the volume and frequency of urination. Urination is one of the ways the body eliminates excess water, unwanted toxins, uric acid, and salts. Did you know that up to four percent of urine has fat? This fact means that urination can also help you shed off some weight. It is always important to consume a diuretic substance not only to keep your kidneys healthy but also to prevent any chances of uterine and urinary infection. Amla readily offers these functions.
6. Amla improves your eyesight. Indian Gooseberry has impressive carotene content which has for long been known to have powerful effects on vision-related conditions. Research has it that regular consumption of Amla improves cataracts and near-sightedness. It also reduces intra-ocular tension and improves eye conditions that result from free radical activities. It is a well-known scientific fact that carotene and Vitamin A help reduce macular degeneration and night blindness. The Indian Gooseberry contents, studies show, work to this effect if you make the fruit a regular ingredient of your diet. Also, Amla is effective in curing watery, sore, and itchy eyes, thus improving your eyesight.
7. It boosts your bone health. Besides having a having high calcium content, this Indian fruit helps your body to absorb calcium efficiently. Calcium is always necessary for healthy teeth, bones, and nails. Therefore, eating Amla on a regular basis is sure to keep your teeth and bones strong and healthy. Specifically, scientific studies have indicated that when consumed, the contents of this fruit work to lower osteoclasts (cells responsible for bone breakage).
8. Helps the digestion process. The Indian Gooseberry has a high fiber content which is vital for healthy and regular bowel movements. Fiber bulks up loose stool which reduces diarrhea. It also reduces chances of constipation. Again, fiber stimulates the secretion of gastric and other digestive juices which are essential for efficient digestion of food. These fluids also ensure that nutrients are absorbed efficiently.
9. Offers protection from some types of cancers. Due to its strong antioxidant effects, reports from studies show that Amla has anti-mutagenic, anti-proliferative, chemopreventative, and immunomodulatory properties. These properties are beneficial in the treatment and prevention of cancer. Being a free radical scavenger, the Indian Gooseberry can also protect your DNA from damage by carcinogens and some dangerous heavy metals. Specifically, in one study done by Indian scientists, a compound called pyrogallol found in Amla was found to contain antiproliferative properties on lung cancer.
10. Protects the liver. In a study that involved three different animals, the results showed that Amla powder significantly reduced oxidative damage to the liver caused by alcohol consumption. The study also found out that the powder also restored the lowered levels of essential antioxidants like superoxide dismutase and glutathione. Other health benefits of this Indian fruit include;
It prevents gastric ulcers
Slows down the aging process
It helps treat menstrual cramps
Improves your appetite
Promotes healthy hair growth
It also cures a sore throat, flu, and fever.
One can write a whole book on the potentially beneficial uses the Indian Gooseberry has. Indeed, this fruit deserves the superfood status.